Skip to main content

SeeBaysh Software

Go Search

SeeBaysh Software > Web File Transfer Support Forum > Uploaddownload folders and sending mail  

Web File Transfer Support Forum

Modify settings and columns
Welcome To SeeBaysh Software's Web File Transfer Support Forum

View: 
Upload/download folders and sending mail
Im evaluating the program and overall it looks great. There are a couple things that I have questions/comments about.

I'm not following the upload/download very well. Is there even a way for a user to have files placed in their download folder?  Looks like the only time the download folder is used is for groups.

When a user that is a member of a group receives an e-mail that a file has been uploaded to the group site, they dont initally see the file when they log in. They have to switch to download then switch the view to the group. I can see where this will cause confusion and clients calling asking how to get to the file that was uploaded to a group.

I may be missing something, but it would seem that eliminating the upload and download folders would eliminate confusion.  When a user logs in they see the folders they have access to kind of like the admin user sees all folders, but without the need to change between upload and download.

I can see having 2 folders being useful for groups and I did try to rename the folders in the file management tab to "To-MyCompany" and "From-MyCompany", but an additional option would be needed in the user accounts to make that logic work properly.

On the e-mail, I understand the spam filters and required e-mail security settings pretty much force the e-mail to come from the administrator. It would be nice for the e-mail notice to show the name and e-mail address of the person who uploaded it in the body of the e-mail instead of the admin name and address. 

I think you guys are on to something here and I hope I can get approval to purchase this program.
Edited: 10/13/2009 4:52 PM
Picture Placeholder: WEBSRV1\administrator
WEBSRV1\administrator
Jon

Thanks for the comments hopefully I can explain why things where done and you definitely have some
very good points that we will take into consideration for improving our product. The key item we are always
challenged with is making the product flexible enough to suit everyone's needs. I beleive that some of the options
outlined below will addresss what you are specifically looking for. If not please let me know.

Im evaluating the program and overall it looks great. There are a couple things that I have questions/comments about.

I'm not following the upload/download very well. Is there even a way for a user to have files placed in their download folder?
Looks like the only time the download folder is used is for groups.
- A PowerUser or Administrator can place a file in the download folder.
- Some companies map the C:\Webfilexfr folder to a share and then put the files
  in the download folder. The key difference between the Upload and Download folder
  is the following.
 - The Download folder is read-only so you cannot delete the files.
        - The Download page has enhanced Zip and Download capabilities(Zip and Download Basket).
 - Some of our Customers only want certain end users to be able to Download files hence only use the Download Page
   Note that you can specify that a User only has access to the Upload page and will not see the Download page.

When a user that is a member of a group receives an e-mail that a file has been uploaded to the group site, they
dont initally see the file when they log in. They have to switch to download then switch the view to the group.
I can see where this will cause confusion and clients calling asking how to get to the file that was uploaded to a group.

- When a user gets a file it does indicate that it goes into a specific Group Folder. You are right that
  a user could need assistance with this however our assumption is that if the end user wanted to download a file
  they would go to the Download page.

I may be missing something, but it would seem that eliminating the upload and download folders would eliminate confusion.
When a user logs in they see the folders they have access to kind of like the admin user sees all folders, but without
the need to change between upload and download.

- The reason we have separate pages is stated above however if you make the Incoming and Outgoing folder the same for
  a user then they will see all the files they have access to on each of the Download and Upload pages.To take it one step
  further you can specify that a user account only has access to the Upload page and then will not see the Download page at all.

I can see having 2 folders being useful for groups and I did try to rename the folders in the file management tab to
"To-MyCompany" and "From-MyCompany", but an additional option would be needed in the user accounts to make that logic
work properly.

- You should try making them the same folder name and then disabling the Download Option for a user account. Please
  ensure that they have the "Allow Upload" option ticked when you add them to a Group.

On the e-mail, I understand the spam filters and required e-mail security settings pretty much force the e-mail to come
from the administrator. It would be nice for the e-mail notice to show the name and e-mail address of the person who
uploaded it in the body of the e-mail instead of the admin name and address.

- This is a good suggestion that we have incorporated in our feature that allows you to e-mail a link to a file or
  folder for download.

I think you guys are on to something here and I hope I can get approval to purchase this program.

Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:04 AM
Subject: Upload/download folders and sending mail

Im evaluating the program and overall it looks great. There are a couple things that I have questions/comments about.

I'm not following the upload/download very well. Is there even a way for a user to have files placed in their download folder?  Looks like the only time the download folder is used is for groups.

When a user that is a member of a group receives an e-mail that a file has been uploaded to the group site, they dont initally see the file when they log in. They have to switch to download then switch the view to the group. I can see where this will cause confusion and clients calling asking how to get to the file that was uploaded to a group.

I may be missing something, but it would seem that eliminating the upload and download folders would eliminate confusion.  When a user logs in they see the folders they have access to kind of like the admin user sees all folders, but without the need to change between upload and download.

I can see having 2 folders being useful for groups and I did try to rename the folders in the file management tab to "To-MyCompany" and "From-MyCompany", but an additional option would be needed in the user accounts to make that logic work properly.

On the e-mail, I understand the spam filters and required e-mail security settings pretty much force the e-mail to come from the administrator. It would be nice for the e-mail notice to show the name and e-mail address of the person who uploaded it in the body of the e-mail instead of the admin name and address. 

Posted: 10/13/2009 5:14 PM
Thank you for the clarification on the items I had in question. I think I understand how the folders work and interact a little better now and will look at tweaking our setup.

Thanks!!

Jon